Sunday 28 March 2021

Foiling Around

Hey all! Bit behind with the blogging again, not really sure why to be honest but I suppose I've had a bit more on recently - at least what feels like a bit more under the current pandemic circumstances. I took my nail polish off yesterday evening and still haven't re-painted yet which is very unlike me!

The previous weekend I decided to have a play around with some foils I have lying around as I bought some on eBay, and received a lovely set as a gift from a friend ages ago but still haven't got round to using them properly! I started with a base of pink to show through in case of any gaps, and used a peel off base too for easy removal. Once the polish was dry I added a layer of foil glue and waited for it to turn clear, indicating it had dried. My first attempt didn't really come out at all, I wonder if it wasn't fully dry yet (seen at the very bottom left of the pictures). However I was pleasantly surprised with the rest! The foil came out covering most of each nail, and the gaps where easy to patch up by re-applying the foil to my nails with a bit of pressure. I re-applied glue to my thumb nail and tried again and it worked reasonably well too.

So I know these aren't the neatest, but for a first try I'm pretty pleased with how well it worked - anything could have happened! I'm not a big fan or the base colour of this foil to be honest but I thought if I'm just experimenting I'll use my least faves! I've included a picture of the foil below to show how well each nail applied in (nearly) one piece!

The below pictures show a couple of things that didn't go well. On the left as mentioned above was my first attempt at the thumb. On the right is what happens if you apply a regular top coat... I applied a water based top coat to the foils so they would keep their shine. This worked however it didn't really last and the foils got damaged pretty quickly. However over the top on the thumb I thought I'd try a regular top coat thinking the water based one would act as a barrier to the foil, but it did not! Next time I think I'll just try more than one coat of the water based one.

1 comment: