Thursday 6 August 2020

Where The Crawdad's Sing: A Nail Art Tribute

Hey everyone! Today I'm sharing something a little different (well not that different, it's still nail art!). This nail art was inspired by the cover of a book called Where The Crawdad's Sing, which I read earlier this year. It is a truly wonderful book. I found it incredibly moving and beautifully written, and it really stayed with me. I was really rooting for the main character! I'd highly recommend it. I won't try and describe it here as I'll end up either spoiling it or just re-writing the blurb, so go Google it if you're interested!

I started this look with a base of cream nail polish (colours listed below the pictures), and followed that with a matte top coat to make the painting easier. Once dry I mixed some of the blue, purple and pink/coral nail polish with nail polish remover on some foil, to water it down, and then dabbed it onto my nails with a wide (ish) nail art brush. I did these one at a time as it tends to dry quite quickly on the tin foil. I had been hoping to achieve a better gradient with this but I think it came out OK. I applied another matte top coat for the final nail art, and then used black nail polish and a small nail art brush to add the tree detail and the silhouette of the person in the boat. The trees came out a bit better than I expected actually, it was kind of accidental but I found a technique! For the branches I used a small nail art brush, and a dotting tool for the leaves, before topping it off with a final matte top coat.

Overall I do like these, I like the colours and I think they came out reasonably well. I'm sure there are nail artists out there who could do an incredible job re-creating this book cover, but this will do for me! Hope you like them and give the book a try!
Colour used: Cream Soda - Barry M, Cyan - Barry M, Wardour Street - Nails Inc, Sloane Avenue - Nails Inc, Cocoa - Barry M, Key Lime - Barry M, Lady In Black - OPI

2 comments: